Popups are a mechanic used in many horror games. The idea is to flash the player with a disturbing Image/Animation, often with a loud sound playing. It is supposed to scare the player.
In the first opus, the popups are screens of the teletubbies, showing their situation.
In the second opus, the popups are edited images of teletubbies. Some of them are just supposed to scare, but a few of them seems to talk a bit about the backstory.
- The "Tinky Winky and Newborns" popup is a modified version of "Without Title" from Teletubbies From Hell gallery by DeviantArt user Yaro42. This is also the image that inspired the New Borns.
- The "Dark picture of Tinky Winky" popup is originally the thumbnail of the 2007 video "teletubbies are scary" uploaded by YouTube user chicksSCY.
- The "Po and Tinky Tank" popup is a modified version of "Teletubbies say Eh-Oh" by Flickr user TudorCostache.
- The "Hanging Teletubbies" popup is a modified version of a previously photoshopped image of the Teletubbies in the gallows. The source of this image is unknown, and while the earliest record of this image leads to a 2004 post made by Fotolog user analyzator, another post using a higher quality image was made in 2006 by Fotolog user diego_x16.
- It was confirmed that popups may not return in Slendytubbies III, as the developers think they are outdated and not scary anymore.
- Only one popup occurred in Slendytubbies III, which is when Tinky Winky breaks the Custard Machine. The popup is the Slendytubbie's II Tinky Tank face popup.
- The "Horrifying version of Laa Laa and Dipsy˝ were inspiration for the new monsters for Slendytubbies III named Brute Tubbies.